Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Focus on the Solution, not the problem!


When I'm not speaking to college students about transitioning to the real world, or helping small business with Internet Marketing, or working full time at Microsoft, I'm also running a real estate business (see my program on "The Art of Delegating") :) Today, I got a chance to apply the lesson I learned from T. Harv Eckers book, "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind" about focusing on the solution, and not the problem. When we hit a problem, it's easy for us to dwell on it and then act out on it, but where does that get you? I've learned it's much better to save time and energy (and more) by focusing on the solution to the problem, not the problem itself! I know it's very difficult to focus on the solution when emotions are high, but it will completely change the outcome of the situation for the better! In my case today, I had a disgruntled tenant who just couldn't be satisfied no matter what we tried. Not only that but my property manager broke "the magical barrier" by forwarding one of my e-mails with my name and contact info directly to her! So now this tenant knows who I am, how to get hold of me, and you better believe she's coming after me. My first instinct was to call the property manager and lay into him real good. But knowing what I know, I stopped, stepped back, and said "How do I solve this particular problem?" With that change of thinking, instantly whole situation changed. I immediately had a thought, that instead of calling the property manager, I'd call my real estate mentor. I figured he's been through this situation dozens of times. Sure enough, in a few minutes he helped me craft a solution that made this a win win for every body!

So before you take the negative route (which is usually the first one you'll see when faced with a problem), step back and watch yourself, look at yourself being angry. Be the witness to it all. Then ask: What is the solution to this problem? What would fix this? Put those thoughts in your head as quickly as you can, and stressful situations will quickly turn into a resolved situations!

Ajay Mirwani is a Professional Speaker, Author, and Technologist that speaks to colleges about leadership and transitioning into the real world, as well businesses about internet marketing strategies and search optimization. To book Ajay for one of your events, please call (415) 839-9710 or visit http://www.ajayspeaks.com

1 comment:

Hajii Otto: MS degree in Health Education, Certified Hypnotherapist Trainer said...

Ajay, this was a wonderful tip with a great example! I love how you took a major problem into "Solved Problem!"

I also like the way you chose to find other helpful resources that you already had like your Mentor.

And you are so right, about controlling those emotions under hot situations! Thanks for the great tip for the day! Hajii